Older adults face a variety of challenges that can negatively impact their health and wellbeing. The people in their lives - family, friends, caregivers, health professionals, senior living communities, service providers, and more - face challenges as well.
Technology can tackle or ease many of these challenges. From early-stage startups to larger organizations, there's an influx of companies building software in the space.
Many startups and small software companies, as well as some larger software companies, don’t have in-house User Experience (UX) Researchers.
Better With Age specializes in software for older adults and those in their support network. We help entrepreneurs and software professionals leverage lean UX research to improve their existing products and pursue new product opportunities.
We approach UX research as a team sport. In our experience, including product design and development teams in research activities is a key ingredient for team alignment and successful product outcomes.
Smart research and design, fused with proficiency in aging, informs your strategy and increases user adoption.
You need a deep understanding of the specific problem you're solving, and the broader problem space. Challenges that seem straightforward on the surface are often part of an intricate and dynamic ecosystem. Context is key.
Our core beliefs about UX and product development:
- UX research is most impactful when it's employed as a team sport.
- Rather than an exercise in learning for its own sake, UX research is a powerful tool that should directly impact decision-making.
- Great UX demands a combination of proactive and reactive response to user feedback.
- UX research helps uncover risks and assumptions that pose potential threats to user adoption and satisfaction.
- Developing respect, trust, and collegiality amongst team members lends itself to constructive challenging of one another’s perspectives.
- Using behavioral psychology and education to tap into motivation can be useful tools in facilitating positive behavior change.
Let's get moving.
Move from wide to narrow
From broad exploration of the problem space to a laser focus on specifics, become experts on your users and stakeholders.
Move from research to design
Genuinely understand your users, so you can make decisions based on data rather than assumptions.
Move from "designing for" to "designing with"
Include users throughout the design process, so you can validate fast and iterate smart.
Move from learning to doing
Learning opportunities arise all the time. Equip yourself with the know-how to do effective UX research.
We help teams with:
- Generative, exploratory research - to identify, understand, and define the problem space and potential solutions.
- Process and customer discovery - to understand who users are and the “world” they are coming from, and gain a deep understanding of their behaviors, needs, goals, and motivations.
- Product discovery - to define how a product takes shape to address the needs of its users.
- Evaluative research - to assess and improve upon designs, from low-fidelity prototypes through production-level code.
Research tools we often use:
- Persona development
- Journey mapping
- Empathy map
- Concept / prototype feedback sessions
- Ethnographic interviews and contextual inquiry
- UX critique
- Usability testing
- Competitive research
- Secondary research
- Ideation and low-fidelity prototyping
- Role-playing exercises and "contextual pilots"
Level-up your game.
Devise your strategy
Achieve domain mastery and craft a holistic UX strategy.
Build the right thing
Discover and discern opportunities worth pursuing.
Grow your user base
Improve designs to increase user adoption and engagement.
Launch beta applications, solutions, and features.
Reduce missteps, and learn to respond more quickly.
The bottom line
Get a return on your investment.
Solutions that cultivate wellness for older adults and those in their support network span a wide array of topics. At Better With Age, our focus areas are:
Cultivating wellness for older adults
- Social connectedness and emotional wellness
- Financial wellness
- Mobility, lifestyle, and engagement
- Brain health and dementia management
- End-of-life wishes and planning
Cultivating wellness for those in their support network
- Tools, resources, and community
- Transitions, challenging conversations and decisions
- Care coordination
- Education about caregiving and maintaining life balance
Mimi helps families find assisted living homes for seniors.
"I cannot underscore that enough. Working with Alex, we've learned to incorporate users early in the process which has enabled us to iterate in design well before we've committed significant time or resources. The end result has been a dramatic reduction in rework and headaches."
Founder, Mimi (www.mimi.care)
Workiva created Wdesk, a cloud-based platform for enterprises to collect, manage, report, and analyze critical business data in real time.
About the Founder
I use a human-centered approach in my work with teams to help them understand their users, make strategic decisions, and create impactful solutions for older adults and the businesses that serve them. Before Better With Age, I led and facilitated UX research activities to help product teams develop enterprise software at Workiva. I have 7 years of research and design experience with small startups, mid-sized teams, and large global companies in the business reporting, healthcare, wellness, sports and outdoors, and leisure industries.