Hi! My name is Alex, and I'm the Founder of Better With Age.
Better With Age is a force-multiplier for startups in aging and health. As a Human-Centered Design Consultant, I help startups create engaging and impactful products for older adults, those facing health challenges, and the people who support them.
I focus on supporting startups in aging and health with lean user research, design strategy, and product management. As a collaborative consultant and coach, I use human-centered design to upgrade UX research, design strategy, and product decision-making as it fits within the context of a team’s unique process. I make user research accessible, continuous, and impactful for fast-moving startups.
Startups in aging and health can achieve a variety of benefits from working with me.
- Gear up with lean and actionable user research
- Devise a design and product strategy
- Contain, reduce, and recover from failures
- Improve product / service offerings and user experience
- Cultivate strong relationships with customers
- Hone prioritization and decision-making
- Design processes with intention
- Boost operational efficiency and spend time in the most valuable ways
- Incorporate HCD principles and mindset into daily activities
- Stimulate shared understanding and team alignment
- Elevate collaboration between product development and customer-facing teammates
- Mobilize non-product people as user researchers and product informants
- Achieve product-market fit and build traction
- Draw attention of potential customers, partners, and investors
- Fulfill startup mission and improve customers' lives
I help teams with a variety of product development and startup activities:
- Customer development
- Product discovery and UX design strategy
- Product validation and customer feedback
- Prioritization and product roadmap
- Shared understanding and team alignment
- Translate customer interactions into lean research opportunities
Human-Centered Design and Lean UX Research tools in my toolbox:
- Customer interviews
- Personas, journey maps, and empathy maps
- Ethnographic research and contextual inquiry
- Ideation and low-fidelity prototyping
- Concept and prototype feedback
- Product roadmap and prioritization exercises
- UX / UI critique
- Usability testing
- Role-playing exercises
- Competitive research
I specialize in consumer and business technologies in aging, health, and wellness.
Lifestyle and aging in place
Caregiving and care coordination
Brain health and dementia
Transportation and mobility
Transitions, decisions, and family dynamics
Pauline is a care coordination platform that helps families work more efficiently with the caregivers they hire for their elderly family members.
“Before working with Alex, we had just a vague idea of how we would gather feedback on our new app from early users. Alex helped us develop a research strategy for engaging with users, and he equipped us with a set of tools and a step-by-step approach to gather continuous input and iterate based on our learnings. His insights on lean user research and design strategy have been invaluable.”
Jack Policar — CEO and Founder, Pauline
Mimi helps families find assisted living homes for seniors.
"I cannot underscore [the impact of working together] enough. Working with Alex, we've learned to incorporate users early in the process which has enabled us to iterate in design well before we've committed significant time or resources. The end result has been a dramatic reduction in rework and headaches."
William Ahlering — Founder, Mimi
Validately is a comprehensive solution for user research that includes a dedicated testing platform, recruiting services, and automated reporting.
Workiva created Wdesk, a cloud-based platform for enterprises to collect, manage, report, and analyze critical business data in real time.
I use a human-centered approach in my work with teams to help them understand their users, make strategic decisions, and design engaging and impactful products and experiences. Before Better With Age, I led UX research activities with product teams to develop enterprise software at Workiva. I have 8 years of research and design experience with small startups, mid-sized teams, and large global companies in the aging, business reporting, healthcare, wellness, sports and outdoors, and leisure industries.