Hi! My name is Alex, and I'm the Founder of Better With Age.
Better With Age is a force-multiplier for startups in aging and health. As a Human-Centered Design Consultant, I help startups create engaging and impactful products for older adults, those facing health challenges, and the people who support them.
I focus on supporting startups in aging and health with lean user research, design strategy, and product management. As a collaborative consultant and coach, I use human-centered design to upgrade UX research, design strategy, and product decision-making as it fits within the context of a team’s unique process. I make user research accessible, continuous, and impactful for fast-moving startups.
Startups in aging and health can achieve a variety of benefits from working with me.
- Gear up with lean and actionable user research
- Devise a design and product strategy
- Contain, reduce, and recover from failures
- Improve product / service offerings and user experience
- Cultivate strong relationships with customers
- Hone prioritization and decision-making
- Design processes with intention
- Boost operational efficiency and spend time in the most valuable ways
- Incorporate HCD principles and mindset into daily activities
- Stimulate shared understanding and team alignment
- Elevate collaboration between product development and customer-facing teammates
- Mobilize non-product people as user researchers and product informants
- Achieve product-market fit and build traction
- Draw attention of potential customers, partners, and investors
- Fulfill startup mission and improve customers' lives
I help teams with a variety of product development and startup activities:
- Customer development
- Product discovery and UX design strategy
- Product validation and customer feedback
- Prioritization and product roadmap
- Shared understanding and team alignment
- Translate customer interactions into lean research opportunities
Human-Centered Design and Lean UX Research tools in my toolbox:
- Customer interviews
- Personas, journey maps, and empathy maps
- Ethnographic research and contextual inquiry
- Ideation and low-fidelity prototyping
- Concept and prototype feedback
- Product roadmap and prioritization exercises
- UX / UI critique
- Usability testing
- Role-playing exercises
- Competitive research
I specialize in consumer and business technologies in aging, health, and wellness.
- Social engagement
- Lifestyle and aging in place
- Family caregiving and care coordination
- Brain health and dementia
- Transitions, decisions, and family dynamics
- Senior living
- Home care agencies
- Financial wellness
Mimi helps families find assisted living homes for seniors.
"I cannot underscore [the impact of working together] enough. Working with Alex, we've learned to incorporate users early in the process which has enabled us to iterate in design well before we've committed significant time or resources. The end result has been a dramatic reduction in rework and headaches."
Founder, Mimi (www.mimi.care)
Validately is a comprehensive solution for user research that includes a dedicated testing platform, recruiting services, and automated reporting.
Workiva created Wdesk, a cloud-based platform for enterprises to collect, manage, report, and analyze critical business data in real time.
I use a human-centered approach in my work with teams to help them understand their users, make strategic decisions, and design engaging and impactful products and experiences. Before Better With Age, I led UX research activities with product teams to develop enterprise software at Workiva. I have 8 years of research and design experience with small startups, mid-sized teams, and large global companies in the aging, business reporting, healthcare, wellness, sports and outdoors, and leisure industries.
Why aging and health?
Arthritic hips, a peripheral nerve condition, and chronic illness have characterized a health journey that has guided me to focus my work in the aging and health spaces. An inner connectedness with the experience of aging sparked my passion for helping innovators create meaningful experiences for older adults and people who support them.
- Along my health journey, I’ve learned to adapt to new realities invoked by the loss of activities that I once identified with. I’ve experienced sadness and isolation, which has provided me with intuitive empathy for the losses that accompany the the process of getting older.
- Navigating health challenges without clear guidance has come with fear and frustration, but has also equipped me with motivation, tenacity, and resilience. This has given me an inside perspective on the ambiguity and apparent lack of control associated with aging, which I channel into designing meaningful experiences and activating strategic capabilities among innovators.
- Finding meaning and purpose in my life keeps me going, and I’ve found that purpose in the aging space. My adamant focus in this niche industry speaks to my passion for and dedication to supporting innovators in the space -- to fulfill their missions, and to improve the lives of the people they serve.